Water Efficiency on Large Landscapes
… An incentive project aimed to encourage water conservation and efficiency on larger landscapes in the American River Basin.
When: Saturday, February 21st 2015 10am-3pm
Where: Soil Born Farms, American River Ranch, 2140 Chase Drive Rancho Cordova
To register for the workshop click here!
The roof a 1,000 square foot house can collect around 600 gallons from just one inch of rain! Installing rain barrels to capture this precious flow is a smart way to save money and conserve water. Learn how to install a simple, inexpensive rain barrel catchment system for your home. Each student will receive a free 55 gallon rain barrel to put to work right away! This is a hands-on workshop, but you can observe anything you're not comfortable doing. If you qualify for the WELL program you can receive up to $500 toward building your own rainwater catchment system, including reimbursement for the cost of registration! Click Here to take a survey to check eligibility for the WELL project.
Greywater is water from sinks, showers, and washing machines. Instead of sending it down the sewer it can be safely and simply redirected into the landscape for irrigation. Reusing household greywater saves water, saves time, and reduces water flowing into the sewer system.
Find out if a greywater system is a good match for your home and landscape in our informative evening slideshow presentation “Drought-Proof Your Landscape with Greywater”
Common types of systems
Advantages and limitation of different systems
Plant friendly soaps and products
How much water you may save
Codes and regulations
Two ways for homeowners to participate, choose between:
Up to $500 reimbursement available for homeowners for water conservation and efficiency projects.
- Smart Irrigation Controllers upgrades standard irrigation timers (i.e. Rain Sensors, moisture sensors, weather stations etc.)
- Upgrading to Water Efficient Sprinkler Heads.
- Drip Irrigation Equipment: converting existing non-turf area spray equipment to low volume drip.
- Pressure regulation equipment for irrigation system
- Rainwater Catchment Systems
- Greywater Systems
Sign-up for a FREE workshop, participates will receive all materials to install either of the systems on their properties.
- “BlueBarrel” Rainwater Catchment Systems- simple self-installed system consisting of a series of 55 gallon barrels collecting rainwater from a structures roof.
- “Laundry to Landscape” Greywater Systems- simple self-installed system reusing only laundry machine water to irrigate outdoor landscape.